I've always been aware that successful, happy people tend to get consistent and high quality sleep giving them an edge in terms of energy, creativity and balanced ability to handle stress in their lives.
Easier said than done though right?
Sleeping pills and medication to help us relax is a multi-billion dollar business, we've seen numbers as high as 1/3 of the population frequently taking medication to assist with sleep.
At the same time there are well over 1/4 of us that have significant sleep issues – even with the sleeping pills, resulting in a chronic, widespread sleep problem that plagues society.
If you are among those that have sleep issues then you can do some very simple things to help improve the time and quality of your sleep naturally:
1. Commit to a consistent sleep schedule. Just for the next week, commit to getting into bed 20-30 minutes before the time you would like to be sleeping and stick to it consistently over the week.
2. Stop taking the self-prescribed sleeping pills and relaxation medication (unless of course you are prescribed by your doctor, in which case please do speak with your doctor first). You've got to believe that you really can do this on your own, get off the medication.
3. Get up in the morning consistently. Just as you need to commit to a consistent bedtime, try sticking with a consistent time for getting up in the morning…consistency has so much to do with your body getting into a pattern and helping activate your desire to sleep.
4. Avoid food for at least 3-hours before you go to bed and alcohol and coffee for at least 6-hours before heading to bed – this will drastically improve the quality of your sleep.
5. Improve your digestion…especially if heartburn, indigestion or acid reflux keeps you up at night. This is the nasty little secret that most Westerners keep quiet is that they wake up or lie awake at night with burning in their chest and esaphagus. I know personally this used to keep me up at night for years until I discovered digestive enzymes and a simple 4-week system for getting rid of the cause behind acid reflux, after that I was able to sleep like a baby.
A major part of improving your self confidence, gaining energy, developing positive self-talk and goals has to do with getting a good night's sleep, — now with these tips you can begin immediately building a foundation for optimal self improvement by getting a terrific, restful sleep.